A Call for a Moratorium on Deepwater Drilling for Oil in the UK
The BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill (Gulf of Mexico):
- April 20th 2010, 11 people killed
- Total of 4.9 million barrels spilt into the ocean
- Devastation to marine mammals, birds & fish.
- Clear-up cost - over $4,000,000,000 USD.
UK Government still allowed Shell to continue operations off Aberdeen, resulting in the Gannet 1,300 barrel oil spill, costing over £60million.
The Energy & Climate Change Committee states:
- It doubts response equipment will work in harsh Shetland waters - where wells >1000m are being drilled.
- UK Taxpayers may have to pick up the tab for a major oil spill: £158 million limit of Offshore Pollution Liability Association scheme insufficient.
The International Energy Agency estimates:
- £266bn government fossil fuel subsidies in 2010
- Rising to £430bn by 2020 at current increase
- All renewable energies only subsidised by £40bn.
Call for a clean, safe energy supply. Stop Deepwater Drilling (>400m) and Ultra-Deepwater Drilling (>1500m) in the UK.
This e-petition has been rejected with the following reason given:
There is already an e-petition about this issue.
Do you support or oppose this petition?
comments powered by Disqus