Please change all the road signs to metric including speeds, distances and heights. Imperial units are really Medieval units suited to a past age.
The continued use of imperial units is having a serious effect on our children’s maths, science and technical education.
Although we live in a metric world today, children do not understand this as they are surrounded by stones, pounds, ounces, miles, yards, feet, inches etc.
This means they..
• do not see the relevance of what they are learning at school
• cannot measure kilometres on long journeys
• have to use measuring instruments outside school that have confusing dual scales
• are not able to compare body measurements with their parents’
• lose everyday opportunities to undertake simple maths calculations at home based on measurement
• often see maths as boring and irrelevant and give up with the subject.
We request the Government change the road signs to metric as this would be a great stimulus to eliminating all other imperial units and giving UK children a fighting chance with their maths etc compared to those in other developed countries.
Do you support or oppose this petition?
comments powered by Disqus