Submitted by Iain Woodall-Buchanan on Friday 13th March 2020
Published on Monday 16th March 2020
Current status: Closed
Closed: Wednesday 16th September 2020
Implement Universal Basic Income to give home & food security through Covid-19
The government should implement an immediate Universal Basic Income trial for all UK residents to ensure home and food security through the coronavirus Covid-19 crisis, to support the needs of those that need to self-isolate as well as the public health at large, and the wider economy.
The Covid-19 crisis means there will be an impact on society. The scientific & medical measures needed are paramount. The economy is pivotal to the UK, but relief is needed for people as well as businesses.
Trialling a Universal Basic Income for all residents would give home and food security, allowing people to make the right decisions for their families and wider society, whilst also keeping money flowing through the economy.
Doing this will reduce pressures caused by acts of desperation.
You can't sign this petition because it is now closed. But you can still comment on it here at Repetition.me!
The Government responded to this petition on Monday 30th March 2020
The Government does not believe a Universal Basic Income is the best method to tackle the extraordinary situation resulting from COVID-19, because it does not target help to those who need it most.
This Government has set out a substantial package of timely, targeted measures to provide financial assistance to people affected by COVID-19 and support the wider economy.
• ensuring UK workers of any employer who is placed on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme can keep their job, with the government paying up to 80% of a worker’s wages, up to a total of £2,500 per worker each month;
• providing a grant to self-employed individuals or partnerships, worth 80% of their profits up to a cap of £2,500 per month.
• increasing the standard rate in Universal Credit and Tax Credits by £20 a week for one year from April 6th, meaning claimants will be up to £1040 better off per year;
• making Statutory Sick Pay available from day one for those who must stay at home on government advice;
• ensuring the self-employed can now access in full Universal Credit at a rate equivalent to Statutory Sick Pay for employees;
• ensuring those affected by COVID-19 can apply for Universal Credit and receive up to a month’s advance upfront without physically attending a jobcentre; and
• providing nearly £1bn of additional support for renters, through increases in the generosity of housing benefit and Universal Credit. From April, Local Housing Allowance rates will pay for at least 30% of market rents in each area.
As both the Prime Minister and Chancellor have made clear, the Government will do whatever it takes to support people affected by COVID 19 and we have been clear in our intention that no one should be penalised for doing the right thing.
These are rapidly developing circumstances, we continue to keep the situation under review and will keep Parliament updated accordingly.
Department for Work and Pensions.
This petition has reached the threshold for a Parliamentary debate, but the debate has not yet been scheduled.
22.214.171.124 Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:07:21 +0100